Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Meet the Regulars - Liam Carroll

   Liam telling as part of  'The Dragonseeker's Quest' 
Organised by The Greenword Tree at Catton Park, Norwich
Click on the image to enlarge

Liam is of mixed English and Irish descent and has spent many years travelling by horse and cart in Ireland, Britain and Eastern Europe, most notably with the renowned mask and puppet theatre company, Horse and Bamboo

He came to storytelling after several years performing street theatre with the campaigning group Theatre of War, having been influenced by one of his musical heroes Robin Williamson, who was part of the 1980’s ‘storytelling revival’.

When it comes to storytelling Liam says, I have tried to read far and wide in searching out good stories, but all the material I adopt for an adult audience always seems to come from Scotland and Ireland – I think it’s the humour and colourful language that attracts me to that tradition. Having said that, I find it quite challenging to translate that humour into the spoken word especially as the language seems to demand the use of ham Irish and Scottish accents. I’m struggling to work out the best way of dealing with that as too much fake accent is a bit off putting for the audience, I suspect, although people are always very polite about it when I ask them.
  
Check out Liam's website: http://www.fairyfolkandfable.co.uk/
And you can contact him via email at fairyfolkandfable@yahoo.co.uk  
 or on 7960696625

No comments:

Post a Comment